UNM 2013 China Study Abroad Program
Electrical Plug/Outlet and Voltage
Voltage: 220Volts/50 Hz, Primary Socket Types
- Upper part: Chinese Non-Grounded
- work with USA non-polarized non-graounded plug (two blades are the same width. Most Apple products can fit)
- don't work with USA polarized non-graounded plug (one blade is wider than the other).
- Lower part: Chinese Grounded
- Spectrum Use by cellular carriers (2G/3G only)
- GSM-based, with SIM card
- AT&T: 850/1900MHz
- T-Mobile USA: 1900MHz
- China Mobile: 900/1800MHz, 2G only, but no WCDMA, only TD-SCDMA (China specific)
- China Unicom: GSM/WCDMA, both 2G/3G
- Verizon: 850/1900MHz
- China Telecom:
- American cell phones to be used in China:
- Must be unlocked
- Should be a quad-band GSM/GPRS phone: 850/900/1800/1900, with SIM card slot.
- Buy a
China Mobile prepaid sim card (about ¥ 100) after you arrive in China.
Easyown (Chinese Hanyu Pinyin: ShenZhouXing) Rough translation: "Travel across China"
Monthly fee is about ¥ 8 - ¥ 16, no contract.
- Voice - Home area (ChengDu for example):
¥ .10 to ¥ .20 for outgoing call to home-area,
¥ .70 for outgoing call to non-home-area,
free to receive any calls;
- Voice - Roaming area (Shanghai for example if your home area is ChengDu):
¥ .60 for outgoing calls, ¥ .40 to receive any calls;
- Text SMS (no matter of home-area or roaming)
¥ .10 to send each SMS, free to receive any SMS.
- Buy a cell phones in China:
- Most inexpensive phones are unlocked
- A simple and inexpensive phone (cost less than ¥ 200) is likely dual-band: 900/1800 MHz, so you can use it in China, but won't work back to USA.
- iPhone in China (must be unlocked):
- Either A1428 or A1429 (GSM model, quad-band GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) will work with China Mobile's 2G or China Unicom's 2G/3G.
- A Web site in English:
Mobile Phone Services: Chengdu Forum
Currency and Bank cards
- $1 (USD) ≅ ¥ 6.2 (CNY)
- Sample of currency:
- ATM card with no foreign transaction fee
- Creidt Cards with no foreign transaction fee
- Discover credit cards, Capital One Cash Rewards, and many others. Need to double check! A common foreign transaction fee varies about 3% to 5%.
Wei Wennie Shu, firstname.lastname@example.org,