Transfer Course Equivalencies

Knowing how your course credits from institutions you have previously attended will transfer to UNM is an important part of planning your UNM degree. An official course evaluation will be completed once you apply for admission to a degree program. If you’re a prospective student or have applied your admission’s process is complete, UNM’s Transfer Equivalency System (TES) can help you determine in advance how your coursework from other institutions may transfer and be used as part of your UNM degree. The following instructions will help you review individual course equivalencies and build a list of your courses and their UNM equivalents

Click here to visit TES and see how your courses will transfer to UNM.

If a course is not found in TES, students will need to go through the course equivalency process. Students are encouraged to seek assistance from an advisor throughout any steps in the process. The process is as follows:

  1. Determine course relevancy. Focus on degree applicable courses by seeing how your credits might fit the courses in the ECE curriculums.


  1. Identify specific courses. Link the transfer course with a specific UNM course. Refer to the UNM Catalog for a list of classes and their description.
    • For example, instead of simply saying “here is an electrical engineering course”, it would be better to say “this electrical engineering course seems to match the content of ECE 203 Circuit Analysis I”.
    • A specific example: there are numerous programming courses that cover different material relevant to different majors. If you are transferring a programming course, you should check that its content matches your target course, which in our case is ECE 131L Programming Fundamentals.
    • If you can’t identify a specific UNM course, you could try letting the department review and decide. In general, for ECE courses, the content similarities between your transfer course and the UNM ECE course should be clear enough to make a link identifiable. If you can’t find similarities, it might be indicative of a lack of equivalent (though you’re still welcome to submit for review).


  1. Gather original course materials. At minimum, a catalog description of the course. A syllabus would be best. Additional materials might be requested if needed.


  1. Complete the TES form. Look for “TRANSFER-Domestic & International Evaluation Form” and follow the instructions (complete only the student portion).
    • If you’re requesting evaluation of various subjects, you’ll need one form for each subject since courses are evaluated by the department that offers it. For example, all ECE courses would be evaluated by our department, all ENGL courses would be evaluated by the English Department, MATH courses by the Math Dept., etc.


  1. Email completed form and supplemental material to the appropriate department. For ECE courses, email In the body of the email, identify which ECE courses you believe match your transfer credits.
    • For other subjects, you can find department contact information by searching online. Their websites will list contact information. If you’re having difficulties finding the right location, you can email ECE for assistance.

NM Institutions Transfers

As of Fall 2019, the state of New Mexico implemented Common Course Numbering  (CCN) for all of its higher education institutions. Common lower division courses considered equivalent for all institutions will have the same four-digit code and numbers to make transferring within the state more seamless. For example, students would be able to take ENGL 1120 from any NM institution and transfer it as such to any other. General Education curriculum courses have CCN and should be available at all NM institutions; these courses will seamlessly transfer to UNM.

CCN doesn’t extend to more degree specific courses such as ECE but other NM institutions may offer differently named equivalent courses. Please check the TES page mentioned at the top of the page.

Central New Mexico Community College (CNM)

Due to the high number of transfers coming from CNM, we’ll make a special mention of the established courses.  As mentioned previously, Gen Ed courses should be available, which includes lower division English, Math, and Physics requirements for the ECE curriculum such as calculus and physics. For questions about offering availability, pre-requisites, and any other details, please contact CNM.





ENGR 1010 OR 1101


CIS 1275+ 2275 (both) OR CIS 1151


CIS 2277


ELEC 1004 OR ENGR 2910


ELEC 1092


ENGR 2915


MATH 2410 + 2420 (both)